Thursday, January 8, 2009

Healthy Eating Challenge


I am putting myself out there, feelings on the line. I need to do this, so that I will stick with my plan. So here goes. On Monday a group of us in our family is embarking on what's called the Healthy Living Challenge. Each of us comes up with a diet plan, a weight goal and starts on a 10 week adventure of food logging, water drinking, points tracking , and exercising. We each put up prizes to work with a partner to hopefully come out on top.

I have been mulling over my plan. I think I am going to go low-carb, no eating after 7 pm, exercising at least 3 times a week, no soda. We have to drink 2 quarts of water a day, no prob. I love water. My Dad is my partner. He is going to count calories. I know this will be hard, but I am excited. My weight loss is 15 lbs, I need to lose more than that, but I know it will be attainable.

I have let my self go since getting married. Growing up we had ice cream occasionally, one or two Mother's cookies in our lunch. But we rarely had chips, candy or junk food. Going for fast food was a special occasion. College was easy, no money for junk food! And even when I moved home and started teaching, I was so busy, there was never time to indulge. I was coaching two sports, teaching two subjects, and taking classes. I used to work out all the time, I never ate sweets accept on an occasional birthday or night out. When I married Gary, my world was opened up to Oreos, cake and going out one or two times a week. It was wonderful. So I got used to that. It was about a year and a half into our life, I realized my clothes didn't fit! I had to change BC 3 times, so I am sure that didn't help. Now my colitis is an issue, eating regularly to keep from getting sick.

These are my reasons. And amazingly, I have a degree in Health Education, I know what is right, but I haven't followed my own advice. When I was a little girl, we would play Barbies everyday. I would always play that my Barbie had a great job, a boyfriend Ken, a dog, etc. She had the best looks, a great figure and greatest clothes. And she would be 32 years old. I am turning 32 this year and I don't feel like my Barbie, beautiful and healthy. I love my life, I just don't like how I am treating the main player in my life..... me. So Monday, starts my new healthy living. I am going to exercise, eat right, get my habits in control. So ask me how I am doing. This will keep me in check. Thanks

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am so excited!!

Alyse Burt said...

I like the website myfitnesspal.com for tracking stuff. It is really easy to use and usually they have all the foods you eat on there already to calculate. Good luck!

The Max Family said...

Amy I am so with you, After getting married in 2000 I think I thought I could eat like my very tall thin husband he ate and ate and I followed and when he ate late at night! problem being he would loose weight and eat and eat, me I was putting it on pound by pound and then by the time babies came I took some off but by baby two It was over....
I exercise daily on the treadmill but I think my metabolism is on snail mode these days!!!

I am doing the same thing trying to eat healthy and we will see what happens tell me if you come across any good advice or tips :)

Kelly Max

Kelly said...

Good for you! For some reason keeping track of everything keeps me from wanting to participate. Yet I know keeping track of everything is what will help. No matter how many times I tell myself I'll get better about eating healthy and exercise...it's not a goal until I write it down. I think more than making a competition out of it I need to make a lifestyle out of it. Your blog is motivating ME! THANKS!

tennille said...

Good luck Amy!

Kinda said...

You go girl! Two of my sisters are on diets because they have problems with yeast. Sounds gross, but my younger sister kept giving her baby thrush and getting infections. The whole process was terrible, so they're on a special diet and it's really helped them. They've stuck to it and have lost a lot of weight too. I admire anyone who can do it. They don't eat sweets, breads or carbs basically, hardly any fruit, but they do eat meat, most veggies, nuts, and I can't think of much else. I guess that's why they're losing weight- they can't eat very many things. Anyhow, good luck!

Jessica said...

Hi Amy... I need to email you html for Karlies story button. Can you email me at jsw382004@yahoo.com and then I will email you back.

jennsekona said...

you can actually go to active.com, enter in zip and event (running) and there are actually a couple of 5ks coming up, plus i think there's a disneyland one again in aug, if you're game, maybe we could plan that one year

Bethany C. said...

I love your honesty. It is very inspiring. Being a mom is wonderful, but makes it hard to take care of 'you' in addition to everyone else. Tricky. Good luck and keep us posted on what you learn!