Saturday, May 9, 2009

Nursemaids Elbow?? What?


Gary and I took Jill today to run some errands. We wanted to appease her, so we went to the pet store first. As we are walking pas Kohls and Staples, Jill was walking in between us and we were swinging her up and down. Not very high, just enough to get her off he ground. Jill loves it, as I know most kids do. We stopped just as we got to the door of Petco, she started to cry. Nothing alarming, she stops, we walk to see the kitties, she starts to cry again, harder. We look at the mice, and then the screaming begins. She is holding her right arm. JIll is a pretty tough kid, so I know something is really wrong when she doesn't want to play with the animals. I pull out our insurance card to call and see if we can get an appointment. I think her arm is broken or dislocated. We walk back to the car. I got an appointment. She is just in so much pain. Of course I am bawling too. We get to the doctor , get right in, Dr comes in. Jill won't let her touch her arm. The dr. feels it. Says she'll be right back. She comes back with papers. I'm thinking we have to go get x-rays. She says its called nursemaids elbow. The bones are still forming so they can shift easily. So one of the bones in Jill's arm moved out of place. She takes her arm and moves it around, Jill and I are both sobbing. When she is done, Jill stops crying and is instantly fine. She asks her to grab a couple of stickers out of the Dr's hand and she does so easily. She wouldn't let go of her hurt arm before. Just like that, she is back to normal. Amazing! So please be careful when you swing or pull on your kids arms! So our afternoon didn't quite go as planned.  But we went back to see the kitties and the fishes.  She was happy.  We are taking a nap now.  This took a lot out of us.

4 comments:

The Max Family said...

Amy and Gary , I feel your upset Karlie and lexi were rolling wround on the floor together when lexi was about a year 1/2 it was all fun until lexi started to cry really.. bad, I didnt know what was wrong but she was holding her arm we rushed her to the er as it was sat night and about 8:30 pm we spent most of the night waiting the pain was so bad she screamed her self to sleep in the waiting area then they finally see her and have to snap it back in and she vomits all over from the pain.

Scarey I know I am so sorry this happened to jill :( hope she is better I know lexi was better the next morning but a little sore babing the arm some.

kelly Max
www.maxfamily4.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

Sad!! That is why I RARELY do that to Paige because it has always scared me...although I have to admit that we have done it several times and Paige LOVES it. Good to know though - and remind me to be careful.

Love you Aim!

Katie said...

That is so sad. =(

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, what a nightmare! That must have been terrible to see her such pain and not know what happened. I'm so glad it was a quick fix!